Latitude 45° 38,2’ N, longitude 13° 05,9’ E: these are the coordinates we read in the sea charts of ancient times, which led many a seafarer straight to Bibione’s lighthouse, a true anchorage for those who once crossed the sea, and still today a sought-after destination for field trips, walks and horse rides by the seaside.
The lighthouse was built in the early 20th Century (1913) by the civil engineering department, soon after to be demolished – in 1917 – and then re-built once again. It is situated in the easternmost area of the town, just atop the delta of the Tagliamento River. It is characterised by a simple and linear architecture and a soft shade of white going to ochre yellow. At first it was kept lit with fires, which the guardians built and kept continuously burning, then it reached full autonomy thanks to two interventions that made it automated, the first in 1952 and the second in 1973.
The building is made up of two floors on a rectangular plant, and right next to it is the 21-metre tall light tower, which lets the lighthouse be seen from up to 15 miles away from the coast.